Knowledge Base
Accountancy Practices
and Tax Advisors
Limited Companies
Individuals Making Tax Digital
TaxCalc Client Hub
TaxCalc Accounts Production
TaxCalc Tax Return Production
TaxCalc VAT Filer
TaxCalc Company Incorporator
TaxCalc Companies House Forms

TaxCalc CloudConnect
TaxCalc AML Identity Checking

TaxCalc Events
TaxCalc Limited Company


TaxCalc Partnership
TaxCalc Individual


TaxCalc Trust
For Accountancy Practices and Tax Advisors

For Individuals, Businesses, Trusts and Partnerships

How do I adjust my tax return if I've just paid off my student loan?

Article ID: 2159
Last updated: 07 Feb, 2017

In the final year of repaying a student loan, an additional liability will often become due for a portion of the year where the loan has already been paid back in full. This is because HMRC applies the calculations of repayments to the whole year, even if the loan was repaid part way through the year.

You can't amend the calculations on your tax return because they must match the HMRC calculations to pass online submission. Instead, a manual adjustment will be made to your HMRC account after submission.

Tell HMRC if you've nearly paid off your loan

You should let HMRC know when you're within the last two years of student loan repayments via your tax return. The Student Loans Company will tell HMRC what the actual remainder was and adjust your tax bill accordingly.

SimpleStep mode

  1. Go to Working out your tax.
  2. Tick the box for If you believe the loan will be fully repaid within the next two years please tick the box?

HMRC Forms mode

  1. Go to: SA100 Core Return > Page 5.
  2. Tick box 3. 

We recommend that you also ask the Student Loans Company how long the adjustment will take and if it will be before the total tax payable is due with HMRC (31 January).

If the payment is received in time, the Student Loans Company will credit the amount overpaid towards the tax due to balance the account on HMRC.

For more information on how to reduce the tax due amount, read our KB article on Where do I enter any credit already on my HMRC account?

PLEASE NOTE: HMRC doesn't deal with student loan enquiries. Contact the Student Loans Company directly.

Article ID: 2159
Last updated: 07 Feb, 2017
Revision: 10
Views: 1406
This article was:  

VAT will be charged to purchases in accordance with the prevailing rules. Copyright © 2017 Acorah Software Products Limited. All Rights Reserved.
TaxCalc, SimpleStep and TaxCalc CloudConnect are registered trademarks of Acorah Software Products Limited. Unauthorised use of these marks is strictly prohibited.
Microsoft, Internet Explorer, Outlook and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Apple, Mac, Mac OS, OS X and Safari are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.
Our registered office is: Rubra One, Mulberry Business Park, Fishponds Road, Wokingham, RG41 2GY . Registered number 03948264 (England and Wales). VAT number: 855 5726 91.